Medley of Stone Fruit Gratin
- 125g caster sugar
- 150ml white wine
- juice from half a lemon
- 2 nectarines, halved and stones removed
- 2 plums, halved and stones removed
- 2 peaches, halved and stones removed
- 2 apricots, halved and stones removed
- 4 egg yolks
- 100ml whipped cream
- Icing sugar for dusting
How to Whip Perfect Cream
1. In a pot large enough to fit the fruit, add the sugar, 150ml water, wine and lemon juice. Stir over medium heat until sugar disolves. Add the fruit and simmer on a low heat for 8-10 minutes until lightly poached. Make sure the fruit is just soft but does not lose its shape. Gently remove the fruit and place in a heatproof oven dish. Reserve sugar syrup.
2. Place the egg yolks in a bowl and whisk with an electric beater on high until the yolks have tripled in size.
3. Slow the beater and add the hot syrup from the fruit in a steady stream. Beat until the mixture is cool.
4. Gently fold in the whipped cream. To this stage, this dish can be prepared a few hours in advance.
5. Spoon the sabayon sauce gently over the fruit, dust generously with icing sugar.
6. Place under the preheated grill for 30 seconds to 1 minute, keeping an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. Serve immediately.