Miso Glazed Eggplant
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp sake or rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp shiro miso
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 eggplants, cut into quarters lengthwise
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds, to garnish
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced to garnish
1. Combine the mirin and sake in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for about 2 minutes to allow some of the alcohol to cook off. Then add the miso and stir until smooth. Stir in the sugar, reduce the heat to very low, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for a further 3 minutes.
2 Brush the cut sides of the eggplants with the sesame oil. Put the eggplants cut side down on a baking sheet and place under the grill of your oven for about 3 minutes, checking often to make sure they do not burn. Turn over, and cook for another 3 minutes or until the tops are a light to medium brown.
3. Cook the eggplants for 15 minutes until tender, turning them again if needed. Top each with the miso sauce and put them back under the grill until the sauce bubbles. This should take less than a minute, so watch them closely.
4. Enjoy hot, sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds and spring onions.