Mixed Berry Fruit and Ginger Nut Crumble
- ½ cup sugar
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 ½ cups fresh blackberries
- 1 ½ cups fresh raspberries
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- 12 Gluten Free ginger nut biscuits, ground
- 50g softened butter
- 4 Tbsp sugar, optional
1. Bring sugar, 1 cup water, zest, lemon juice, star anise and cinnamon stick to the simmer and add the fresh berry fruits. Remove from heat and allow to cool in the juices.
2. To make the topping, mix softened butter with the ground biscuits and sugar.
3. Remove the star anise and cinnamon stick then spoon half the berry mixture into a 4cm deep, 20cm base pie dish. Sprinkle half the topping over berry mixture.
4. Repeat with remaining berry mixture and topping. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 180°C. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes. Serve with cream, custard or vanilla ice cream.
Smart Tip: You can replace fresh berry fruits with 450g frozen mixed berries to make this when fresh berries are no longer in season.