Nut Roast Capsicums
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup grated carrot
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ tsp oregano
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs e.g. parsley, basil (and extra parsley to garnish)
- 2 eggs
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 large red capsicums
- ½ cup grated cheese
- ½ cup chicken stock or water for cooking
How to Chop an Onion
1. Preheat an oven to 180°C.
2. In a medium sized pan, heat the oil and add the onion and celery to cook for 3 minutes. Add the carrot to cook for 3 or 4 minutes until softened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
3. In a medium sized bowl place the sunflower seeds, walnuts, oregano, chilli flakes, mustard, herbs, eggs and salt and pepper. Add the onion mix, season and stir well.
4. Cut the capsicums in half and scoop out the seeds. Divide the nut mixture by 4 and fill each half.
5. Place the filled capsicums in an ovenproof dish and top with grated cheese.
6. Pour the water or chicken stock around the capsicum and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. If they are browning too quickly, place a bit of tinfoil over the top.
7. Garnish with extra chopped parsley, and serve as an accompaniment to your meal.