Smoked Tarakihi Pâté with Pickled Cucumber Salad
- ½ telegraph cucumber
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp dill, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 200g canned smoked fish
- 150g cream cheese (can use lite)
- 50g sour cream
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- Fresh crusty bread or crackers to serve
How to Tell When Fish is Cooked
Using a vegetable peeler, remove the skin from the cucumber and discard.
Continue with the peeler, creating ribbons until you get to the seeds, which you can discard as the seeds are mainly water.
Take the ribbons and squeeze out as much of the juice as you can and place the cucumber in a bowl.
Add the sugar, vinegar, olive oil and dill. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, mix well, cover and chill until ready to use.
Flake the fish. Combine in a food processor with the cream cheese and sour cream, or if using a hand blender, process until all ingredients are combined.
Add lemon juice, zest and white pepper to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
Serve with fresh crusty bread or crackers.
By Jax Hamilton