Spicy Chicken and Beetroot Salad
- 450 g chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp ginger, grated
- zest of 1 lemon or lime
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 200 g baby beets, peeled and cut in half
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- pinch of salt
- 130 g salad greens
- ½ cup snap peas, blanched
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- ½ red capsicums, sliced thinly
- ½ green capsicums, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp pesto
1. In a medium sized bowl place the chicken. Add the paprika, cayenne pepper, garam masala, ginger, zest and 1 tablespoon oil.
2. Rub the spice mix over the chicken, and set aside or refrigerate until needed.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line an ovenproof dish with tin foil, and place the marinated chicken with the beetroot, garlic and remaining olive oil on top. Sprinkle with salt and wrap in the tinfoil. Bake for 40 minutes or until soft when tested with a knife. When done, remove and cool.
4. Heat a BBQ or frying pan to a medium heat. Cook the chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until done.
5. Combine and toss the salad greens, snap peas, red onion, and capsicums in a large bowl.
6. For the pesto dressing combine 1 tablespoon pesto, 1 tablespoon olive oil and juice of 1 lemon in a small bowl.
7. Serve chicken on the salad with the beetroot, and drizzle with pesto dressing.
Tip: If fresh beetroot is not available then replace with canned baby beetroot however these do not need to roasted. Simply cut into quarters and add to the salad.