Stuffed Then Baked Eggplant
- 4 eggplants
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 Tbsp freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- 4 Tbsp ricotta cheese
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 egg, separated
- ¼ cup Macro Gluten free breadcrumbs
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp chopped oil packed sundried tomatoes
- 1 head roasted garlic freshly squeezed from skin
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, leaving the stems attached. Carefully score the flesh in a criss cross pattern about 5mm deep, making sure you don’t cut through the skin. Rub the cut surfaces with ¼ tsp salt. Set the eggplant halves, cut-side-down, on paper towels and allow moisture to drain for 15 minutes. Eggplant has quite a lot of moisture in it and doing this removes some of it.
3. Brush the cut surfaces of the eggplant with olive oil and place them, cut-side-down on a flat tray lined with baking paper and bake for 15 minutes. The eggplants will not cook completely through but the skin and flesh will just be softened. Cool for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 190°C.
5. Use a spoon to gently scoop the pulp from the partially cooked eggplants leaving about 5mm of flesh on the skins. Set the skin shells aside.
6. Place the flesh in a food processor. Add 2 Tbsp of the Parmigiano cheese, ricotta cheese, the remaining salt, pepper, egg yolk, breadcrumbs, tomato paste, herbs, sundried tomatoes and garlic. Pulse until the ingredients are just mixed, about 30 seconds.
7. Beat the egg white in a small bowl until stiff and gently fold into the eggplant mixture. Fill the eggplant skins with the mixture, mounding it slightly.
8. Place in a baking dish large enough to hold the 8 halves and pour the chicken stock around them. Sprinkle the stuffed eggplant halves with the remaining Parmigiano cheese and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
9. Grate a little Parmigiano cheese over each half and cool for 5 minutes and then serve with a fresh seasonal green salad of your choice.