Balinese-style Barbecued Chicken
- 6 shallots, roughly chopped (or 2 brown onions instead)
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 1 piece (3cm) fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp tamarind sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 6-8 chicken pieces such as thigh cutlets, drumsticks or wings
- 1 cup coconut milk
1. Place the shallots, chillies, ginger, tamarind paste, brown sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor or mortar. Process or pound the mixture to make a smooth paste.
2. Heat the oil in a frypan over a medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook – turning them so they cook evenly – for 4-5 minutes or until they are golden.
3. Add the spice mixture to the pan and cook the chicken, while stirring, for a further 2 minutes.
4. Add 1 cup of water and the coconut milk, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the chicken from the pan and reserve the sauce.
6. Place the chicken on a preheated barbecue and continue cooking it for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is charred golden and cooked through. Serve the chicken with the sauce.
Courtesy to Food Magazine.
By Bronwyn Byrne