Baby Mussel Fritters with Smoky Aioli
- 20 mussels, cooked with tongue removed
- spring onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh or dried dill
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup milk
- oil for frying
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 mayonnaise
- 1 tsp garlic, freshly crushed
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. In a food processor, whiz the mussels, spring onion and dill until they are finely chopped.
2. Fold in the beaten eggs, flour and enough milk to make a spoonable batter.
3. Heat the oil in a large frypan. Cook spoonfuls of the mussel batter in batches over a medium heat, cooking each side for 2-3 minutes until golden and puffed. Drain the cooked fritters on paper towels and keep them warm.
4. To make the smoky aioli, combine the mayonnaise, garlic and smoked paprika and season to taste.
5. Mix together the salts and chopped chives and sprinkle the mixture over the hot mussel fritters. Serve immediately with the smoky aioli for dipping.
By Jo Wilcox