Herbed Leg of Lamb with Lemon & Orange
- leg of lamb (that will fit in your slow cooker)
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
1. Grate the zest off ½ the lemon and orange. Then, in a mortar and pestle, grind with the garlic, rosemary, thyme, oil, salt and pepper.
2. Pat lamb dry and rub all over with the paste. Cover and rest for 1 – 2 hours.
3. Put into slow cooker and add liquid round the base. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours. Before serving place leg onto cutting board, cover with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
4. Juices from slow cooker can either be reduced in a small saucepan to create a jus or thickened using 1 Tbsp gluten free flour or 1 tsp cornflour, into a gravy.
5. Serve with seasonal fresh green vegetables and roasted potatoes, kumara or pumpkin.
By Jimmy Boswell