27/08 Media statement on Countdown's current status re: COVID-19 Alert Level 4
Please attribute to Kiri Hannifin, Countdown's General Manager Corporate Affairs, Safety and Sustainability
Since Alert Level 4 began, we’ve seen more than 2000 of our team unable to come into work and over 1000 are still out of action on any given day due to their store being a location of interest, having a household member at a location of interest, not having childcare available or because they are vulnerable to COVID-19.
So far this week we’ve sent more than 1.7 million cartons of food and groceries to our stores and purchased huge volumes of fresh fruit and vegetables from our growers including an extra 285 tonnes of potatoes, 105 tonnes of carrots and an additional 350,000 avocados.
Online shopping is still very busy but we’re making more delivery windows available each day and in the last week we’ve delivered more than 20,000 orders to Priority Assistance customers. We ask that customers who can shop in store do so, and to check with neighbours and friends who might not be able to go to the store.
All our specials and promotions are running as normal. We currently have more than 5000 products on special and another 4000 on Great Price, however customers won’t see their weekly physical Countdown broadsheet or any new TV advertising as these are unable to be produced during Level 4. Customers can still view our specials and mailer online. Prices at Countdown have not changed due to the lockdown. Prices do of course change from time to time due to things like the weather, seasonality, supply and demand, global shipping challenges and cost increases from suppliers, but at Countdown we have not increased any product prices as a result of the Alert Level 4 lockdown.
Nineteen of our stores (see list below) have been visited by someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, and we have seven stores temporarily closed due to low team numbers and ensuring we have team members across as many other stores as we can. These stores are: Albert Street Metro and Halsey Street Metro, and Countdown Birkenhead, Hauraki Corner, Mangere Mall, Westgate and Takanini.
In the last week since lockdown started we have brought on 270 new permanent and nearly 450 temporary team members to help relieve the pressure on our stores and online network. We’re particularly grateful to our teams’ friends and family - a number of them have come on board as temporary team members and are helping keep our shelves stocked and stores open through what’s a very pressured time for us all.
Countdown locations of interest as of 10am 27 August:
- Countdown Birkenhead - visited on Friday, 13 August 6:00pm - 6:30pm and visited three times on Monday, 16 August, 7.00am - 7.15am, 8:10am - 8:20am and 12.30pm - 12.45pm.
- Countdown Botany Downs - visited on Tuesday, 17 August 10.20am - 10.30am
- Countdown Glenfield Mall - visited on Saturday, 14 August at 5pm - 5.15pm and Sunday, 15 August 2021
- Countdown Greenlane - visited on Tuesday, 17 August 8:27pm - 8:50 pm and Saturday 21 August at 12:30pm - 1:15pm
- Countdown Grey Lynn - visited on Tuesday, 17 August 6.52 pm - 7.15 and Wednesday 18 August, 4.45 pm - 5.30 pm
- Countdown Johnsonville - visited on Wednesday, 18 August 4.30pm - 5.00pm
- Countdown Lincoln Road - visited on Wednesday, 11 August 2.56pm - 3.30pm
- Countdown Lynfield - visited on Wednesday, 4 August 2.45pm - 3.05pm and Sunday, 15 August at 8pm - 8.15pm
- Countdown Mangere East - visited on Friday, 20 August, 10.50 am - 10.55am and Saturday 21 August 12:00pm - 12:10pm
- Countdown Mangere Mall - visited twice on Tuesday, 17 August, 12:30 pm - 1:00pm and 5:15 pm - 5:19pm and Friday, 20 August, 8:00pm - 8:45pm
- Countdown Manukau - visited on Thursday, 19 August 4.53 pm - 5.30pm
- Countdown Manurewa - visited on Monday, 16 August 12:00pm - 12:30pm
- Countdown Newtown - visited on Friday, 20 August 8.05am - 9.45am
- Countdown Northwest Massey - visited on Wednesday 18 August 3:30pm - 4:30pm and Saturday, 23 August 3:30pm - 5:00pm
- Countdown Pakuranga - visited on Friday, 20 August 12.36pm-1.15pm
- Countdown Takapuna - visited on Sunday, 15 August 3.20pm - 3.30pm
- Countdown Takanini - visited Thursday, 19 August 7am - 7:10am and Monday, 16 August 10:00am - 10:10am
- Countdown Victoria Street West - visited on Sunday, 15 August 2.30pm - 3.15pm and Tuesday, 17 August 3.47pm - 5.05pm
- Countdown Westgate Massey - visited Monday, 16 August 5pm - 6pm; Thursday 19 August, 6am-2.30pm and Saturday 21 August 6am -11.30am
As a precaution, deep cleans have been undertaken in each of these stores in addition to the thorough cleaning that is undertaken during each day, which has been further increased following the alert level change. Any team members who were working during the time of the visits have been asked to self-isolate and be tested.