25/08 Media statement on Countdown's current status re: COVID-19 Alert Level 4
Please attribute to Kiri Hannifin, Countdown’s General Manager Corporate Affairs, Safety and Sustainability.
As of 10am today we have more than 1900 of our team members isolating across Auckland and Wellington because their store is a location of interest, because they have a family member who has been impacted by a location of interest, or because they don’t have childcare available or are vulnerable to COVID-19.
Nineteen of our stores (see list below) have been visited by someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, and we have six stores temporarily closed due to low team numbers and ensuring we have team members across as many other stores as we can. These stores are: Currently our Albert Street Metro, Birkenhead, Halsey Street Metro, Hauraki Corner, Mangere Mall, Northwest and Takanini.
We’re expecting these numbers will continue to increase. In the last week since lockdown started we have brought 230 new permanent and 360 temporary team members on board to help, and our recruitment and store teams are working as hard as they can to help navigate this unusual situation.
Our online shopping service remains extremely full. We’re making more delivery windows available each day, but we’re asking customers who can shop in-store to do so. If you’re able to shop for someone else who might not be able to get to the supermarket easily, that would be helpful to help free up space for the people who need it most.
Our supply chain is in good shape today. We have eggs and meat flowing through the network, and while there are gaps on shelves as the supply chain deals with the demand, there is plenty to go around to please don’t buy more than you need.
We’re still seeing a number of serious incidents where customers become aggressive or abusive towards our team about wearing masks. We’d remind people that masks or face-coverings in supermarkets are mandated by the government, and to keep things kind and respectful with our in-store teams who are doing their best.
Countdown locations of interest
As of today, 25 August, 19 of our stores have been visited by someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. Any of our stores which are named as locations of interest will close for deep cleaning, and re-open as soon as possible. We’re trying to keep customers and our website updated in real time as much as we can, but things are moving very fast.
Countdown locations of interest are:
- Countdown Birkenhead - visited on Friday, 13 August 6:00pm - 6:30pm and visited three times on Monday, 16 August, 7.00am - 7.15am, 8:10am - 8:20am and 12.30pm - 12.45pm.
- Countdown Botany Downs - visited on Tuesday, 17 August 10.20am - 10.30am
- Countdown Glenfield Mall - visited on Saturday, 14 August at 5pm - 5.15pm and Sunday, 15 August 2021
- Countdown Greenlane - visited on Tuesday, 17 August 8:27pm - 8:50 pm and Saturday 21 August at 12:30pm - 1:15pm
- Countdown Grey Lynn - visited on Tuesday, 17 August 6.52 pm - 7.15 and Wednesday 18 August, 4.45 pm - 5.30 pm
- Countdown Johnsonville - visited on Wednesday, 18 August 4.30pm - 5.00pm
- Countdown Lincoln Road - visited on Wednesday, 11 August 2.56pm - 3.30pm
- Countdown Lynfield - visited on Wednesday, 4 August 2.45pm - 3.05pm and Sunday, 15 August at 8pm - 8.15pm
- Countdown Mangere East - visited on Friday, 20 August, 10.50 am - 10.55am and Saturday 21 August 12:00pm - 12:10pm
- Countdown Mangere Mall - visited twice on Tuesday, 17 August, 12:30 pm - 1:00pm and 5:15 pm - 5:19pm and Friday, 20 August, 8:00pm - 8:45pm
- Countdown Manukau - visited on Thursday, 19 August 4.53 pm - 5.30pm
- Countdown Manurewa - visited on Monday, 16 August 12:00pm - 12:30pm
- Countdown Newtown - visited on Friday, 20 August 8.05am - 9.45am
- Countdown Northwest Massey - visited on Wednesday 18 August 3:30pm - 4:30pm and Saturday, 23 August 3:30pm - 5:00pm
- Countdown Pakuranga - visited on Friday, 20 August 12.36pm-1.15pm
- Countdown Takapuna - visited on Sunday, 15 August 3.20pm - 3.30pm
- Countdown Takanini - visited Thursday, 19 August 7am - 7:10am and Monday, 16 August 10:00am - 10:10am
- Countdown Victoria Street West - visited on Sunday, 15 August 2.30pm - 3.15pm and Tuesday, 17 August 3.47pm - 5.05pm
- Countdown Westgate Massey - visited Monday, 16 August 5pm - 6pm and Saturday, 21 August 3.30pm - 5pm
As a precaution, deep cleans have been undertaken in each of these stores in addition to the thorough cleaning that is undertaken during each day, which has been further increased following the recent alert level change. Any team members who were working during the time of the visits have been asked to self-isolate and be tested.