Countdown scam warnings
Worried about Countdown scams? We can help with that.
Unfortunately there are a number of scams at any given time where the Countdown brand is used to target customers, asking for personal details. We would strongly encourage our customers not to give out their personal details to anyone proclaiming to be from Countdown.
To help identify scam patterns and trends in NZ, you can make a note of suspicious calls, emails or texts you receive and report this information to Netsafe New Zealand, at www.netsafe.org.nz/report. Netsafe tracks scam trends and uses this information for public education, scam alerts and to give to other agencies working to protect people against scams in New Zealand. Netsafe cannot open investigations into scams, but can offer support and advice for people who have lost money or information in a scam. Netsafe has information about scams on their website www.netsafe.org.nz.
Please also report the scam to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ask for personal details such as PIN numbers over the phone or online.
- Ask for you to call a 0900 phone number to claim a prize.
- Stays in touch with the Police when we become aware of scams.
Latest scam warnings
- Thurs, 12 Dec 2019 - Scam email advising customers they have won a smartphone with link to collect. Do not click the link.
- Fri, 25 Oct 2019 - Scam Text Message advising they have won a Countdown draw for a smartphone. It could come from various numbers including: 0210025238, 0210025237, 0210025240, 7504. Do not click on the link.
- Thurs, 27 Jul 2019 - Scam Email advertising a 14 day Amourx.net trial for $1 with $50 Countdown voucher as a 'welcome gift'. Do not click the link.
- Mon, 29 Apr 2019 - Scam Email stating that someone from Countdown is trying to get in touch about some feedback from your latest visit. This is not from us. Do not click the link.
- Mon, 22 Apr 2019 - Scam text message advising they have won second place in the 'Countdown Easter draw on 21/04/19' with link to verify. Do not click the link.
- Wed, 3 Apr 2019 - Scam Email advising they are a winner of the Countdown Smartphone competition with a link to claim prize. Do not click the link.
- Tue, 19 Mar 2019 - Scam Text Message advising they have won a prize draw with link to collect prize. Do not click the link.
- Wed, 23 Jan 2019 - Scam Email advising they are a winner of the Countdown Smartphone competition with a link to claim prize. Do not click the link.
- Mon, 21 Jan 2019 - Scam Email advising they have won a $500 gift card, with a link to confirm prize. Do not click the link.
- Fri, 18 Jan 2019 - Scam Email with a link to complete a 1-minute survey and receive a gift. Do not click the link.
- Wed, 16 Jan 2019 - Scam Email advising they have received a reward for being a loyal customer with a link through to complete personal information. Do not click the link.
- Tue, 8 Jan 2019 - Scam Email from email@example.com advising they have received a $500 Countdown Gift Voucher for participating in a quality survey.
If an email you received doesn't look like an email you'd usually receive from Countdown, doesn't come from a Countdown email address, has a .zip file attachment or there is any mention of an international address, then this is likely a scam. Customers should be cautious about any email that offers free shopping at Countdown.
Businesses like Countdown and other major retailers or airlines are frequently targeted because we have large customer bases and do often run competitions so communications from us can seem quite plausible.
All our Facebook competitions are featured on our Facebook page and all our Onecard Competitions are featured on our website so you can always check if an offer or promotion is legitimate. If you have any doubts, please contact us immediately on 0800 40 40 40.
From time to time, we do send out promotional text message communications to those customers who are opted in to receive them. These messages will come from the number 800. To see if you are opted in to get text messages from us, make sure you're signed in to your Onecard account, and then check your Text Settings under "Your Profile". Here, you can also opt out of text message communications from us.
For our online shopping customers, you will receive text message updates about your order from the number 4141 for Delivery and 5872 for Pick Up.
Countdown does run legitimate customer surveys. These are either run on our behalf by Inmoment and promoted via a countdownlistens.co.nz website link printed on the till receipt shoppers get in store, or customers would have had to agree to join our survey panel at some point previously and the prizes for these surveys are Countdown gift vouchers.
From mid-November 2017, we have launched our Countdown Listens survey via email. This email is sent to customers who have signed up to receive Research emails from Countdown. To see if you are signed up for Research emails, make sure you're signed in and then check your Preference Hub page by clicking on "My Details".