< back to recipes
Spicy Tortilla Stack
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 400 g beef mince
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 420 g kidney beans
- 1 tsp beef stock powder
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 6 tortillas
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 bag salad
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
Cooking: 35 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease a round cake tin.
2. Heat oil in a frypan and gently sauté the onions until translucent and fragrant. Remove half the onions and place in small pot.
3. Add mince to frying pan and over a medium heat, toss through the onions and brown all over. Drain off any excess oil. Sprinkle in taco seasoning and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes then pour in 125ml water. Stir, reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside until you are ready to assemble your stack.
4. Sprinkle beef stock over the remaining onion in pot and over a medium heat stir until combined. Pour in the kidney beans, 125ml water and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Season with a little salt and black pepper to taste, remove from the heat, then mash with a potato masher.
5. To assemble stack, place a tortilla on the base of the cake tin and spread on large spoonful of the spicy mince. Ensure you spread mixture right to the edges. Top with another tortilla and spread this one with a spoonful of the kidney bean mixture, spreading right to the edge. Repeat alternating between mince and bean mixture until you have used all 6 tortillas.
6. Spread the top of the last tortilla with the bean mixture. Sprinkle over cheese, cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for a further 5 minutes, to allow the top to become golden and crispy.
7. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing into wedges and serve with salad.
Cost of meal is based on actual quantity or portion of each ingredient used to make the recipe on 6 December 2013. Click here For details and a full breakdown of meal cost.